We may earn a small commission from product links. Blog posts at Nimble Made are written to provide value and advice for our readers—any product(s) we recommend are items readers use and love.
Written by Sonia Su
Choosing the perfect groomsmen suits is a pivotal part of wedding planning, as it not only complements the overall theme and style of the big day, but also ensures the groomsmen look their best alongside the groom.
In fact, the idea of having matching wedding groomsmen suits dates back to medieval times on the belief that "dressing identically would confuse any evil spirits wishing to distribute bad luck on the newlyweds."
In this comprehensive guide, we delve into the world of groomsmen suits, exploring everything from suit styles and color choices to the logistics of renting or purchasing (who pays?), ensuring that this crucial aspect of your wedding day and wedding suits come together seamlessly.
Top Suit Styles for Groomsmen Suits
Classic Two-Piece Suit: A timeless choice, the classic two-piece groomsmen suit includes a jacket and trousers in the same fabric and color. It's versatile and suitable for most wedding themes, from traditional to modern. Pair it with these best dress shirts for a wedding.
- Three-Piece Suit: This ensemble includes a waistcoat (vest) in addition to the jacket and trousers. It adds an extra layer of sophistication and is ideal for these special occasions.
Tuxedo: Tuxedos are the perfect option if you're looking to exude elegance and are typically reserved for black-tie affairs. They feature satin lapels and a satin stripe down the trousers, providing a high level of formality.
- Linen Suit: Perfect for destination or summer weddings, linen suits are lightweight and breathable. They often have a relaxed and casual look.
- Slim-Fit Suit: Slim-fit wedding suits have a tailored and modern silhouette. They are a popular choice for contemporary weddings and offer a sleek appearance. Use our suit size calculator to find the right fit for you.
No matter the style, be sure to pair it with a pocket square to enhance your overall look and check out our helpful guides on how to fold a pocket square.
Best Color Choices for Groomsmen Suits
- Classic Black: Timeless and formal, black suits are suitable for elegant and traditional weddings. They pair well with various shirt and tie colors.
- Navy Blue: Navy wedding suits are versatile and can be dressed up or down. They work for both indoor and outdoor weddings and complement a range of themes. Here's how to wear a navy suit with brown shoes.
Gray: Gray wedding suits come in various shades, from light gray to charcoal. They are adaptable and suitable for a wide range of wedding styles. Here is a guide on how to pair a gray suit with a black shirt.
Tan: Tan suits have become increasingly popular for spring and summer weddings, thanks to their light and airy appearance. This versatile and timeless color for all skin tones adds a touch of warmth and sophistication to the wedding party's attire.
- Charcoal: Charcoal suits are a refined choice for formal weddings. They offer a classic and sophisticated look.
- Midnight Blue: A darker shade of blue, midnight blue wedding suits provide a touch of uniqueness while remaining formal. They can be a great alternative to black.
- Lighter Colors: Lighter shades like light gray, tan, or beige are excellent for destination or summer weddings, exuding a more relaxed and airy vibe. Make sure you have these best suit colors in your closet for the most versatile wardrobe.
Patterned Suits: Wedding suits with subtle patterns like pinstripes or checks can add visual interest and personality to the groomsmen's attire. These are suitable for semi-formal or less traditional weddings.
Ultimately, the choice of suit style and color for groomsmen suits depends on the wedding's formality, theme, and the couple's dress code preferences. It's essential to consider these factors to ensure that the groomsmen suits harmonize with the overall wedding aesthetic.
Who Pays for the Groomsmen Suits
Traditionally, groomsmen are expected to cover the cost of their own wedding suits and accessories when participating in a wedding. This includes the purchase or rental of the suit, as well as any additional items such as shirts, ties, shoes, and cufflinks.
However, it's becoming increasingly common for couples to offer to cover some or all of the expenses as a gesture of appreciation for their groomsmen's participation and support. Ultimately, the arrangement can vary depending on the couple's preferences and the financial circumstances of the groomsmen.
It's essential for the couple and groomsmen to communicate openly about expectations and financial arrangements to ensure everyone is comfortable with the decision.
Renting vs. Buying: Which is Better?
The decision to rent or purchase groomsmen suits depends on several factors, including budget, style preferences, and the overall wedding vision. Here are some considerations for both options:
Renting Groomsmen Suits
- Cost-Efficiency: Renting groomsmen suits is generally more cost-effective, especially if the groomsmen won't wear the suits frequently after the wedding.
- Variety: Rental shops often offer a wide range of suit styles and colors, allowing you to choose a cohesive look for the wedding party for the big day.
- Convenience: Renting is convenient, as it typically includes alterations, cleaning, and return services, saving time and hassle.
- Ideal for Destination Weddings: Renting is an excellent choice for destination weddings, as it minimizes the need for transporting wedding suits for these special occasions.
Purchasing Groomsmen Suits
- Long-Term Investment: Purchasing groomsmen suits can be a long-term investment, especially if the groomsmen anticipate wearing them for future events. Make sure you know how to buy a suit correctly.
- Tailored Fit: Owning suits allows for customization and tailoring to ensure a perfect fit, enhancing the overall appearance. Here's how long it takes to get a suit tailored.
- Personalization: Groomsmen can keep their suits as a memento and may be more likely to invest in accessories that suit their personal style.
- Suit as a Gift: Some couples choose to gift the groomsmen their suits, making it a meaningful and practical token of appreciation. Here are more groomsmen gift ideas.
- Consistency: Buying ensures that the groomsmen have consistent suits that match the groom's attire perfectly.
What Should Groomsmen Consider When Choosing Dress Shirts?
Choosing the right dress shirts for groomsmen is essential to achieving a cohesive and polished look for the wedding party. Here are some key considerations when making this important decision:
Color — Coordinate with the Wedding Theme
The color of the dress shirts should complement the overall wedding color palette and theme. It's essential to align with the couple's vision for the wedding. Nimble Made has a variety of high-quality colored dress shirts to choose from with hassle-free returns.
Fabric — Opt for Comfort and Breathability
Choose breathable fabrics like cotton or linen, especially for warm-weather weddings. Consider the season and climate to ensure the groomsmen stay comfortable throughout the day.
Collar Style — Match the Suit Collar
Fit — Prioritize a Tailored Fit
Well-fitted shirts enhance the overall look. Tailoring may be necessary to achieve the ideal fit, ensuring that the shirts don't appear baggy or too tight. You can also go off-the-rack with fitted dress shirts from Nimble Made. Here's a good dress shirt should fit.
Cuff Style — Choose Appropriate Cuffs
Consider whether you want barrel cuffs, French cuffs, or another style that suits the formality of the wedding and the groom's attire.
Tie and Accessories — Plan for Accessories
Coordinate the dress shirt with the chosen ties, pocket squares, and cufflinks. Ensure these accessories complement both the shirt and the overall wedding color scheme. Browse our bestselling men's dress shirts, including this white dress shirt.
Tucking or Untucking — Decide on Tuck-In or Leave Out
Consider whether the shirts will be tucked into the trousers or left untucked, as this affects the shirt length and overall appearance. Our favorite untucked shirts to consider in this guide.
Groomsmen's Personal Styles — Acknowledge Individual Preferences
While achieving a cohesive look is essential, allow some room for individual style preferences among the groomsmen, such as collar accessories or tie knots.
Maintenance — Think About Care and Wrinkling
Consider how easy the shirts are to maintain and whether they wrinkle easily, as this can impact the groomsmen's comfort throughout the day. Check out our dress shirt care guide.
Try On — Ensure Proper Sizing
Encourage the groomsmen to try on their shirts well in advance of the wedding to address any sizing or fit issues promptly. Use our dress shirt fit guide.
Budget — Be Mindful of Costs
Be considerate of the groomsmen's budgets when selecting dress shirts. If possible, offer guidance on where to find affordable yet quality options.
Groomsmen Suits Bottom Line
Choosing the right groomsmen suits is a crucial element in creating a cohesive and stylish wedding party. The selection of suit styles and colors should align with the wedding theme, the couple's vision, and the formality of the event.
Whether you opt for classic black tuxedos, contemporary gray suits, or colorful ensembles, thoughtful consideration and coordination of groomsmen attire contribute to a polished and memorable wedding celebration.
Frequently Asked Questions about Groomsmen Suits
How much should a groomsmen suit cost?
The cost of a groomsmen suit can vary widely depending on factors like the brand, fabric, style, and customization. On average, groomsmen suits can range from $150 to $500 or more, with premium and designer options potentially exceeding this range.
What suits should groomsmen wear?
The choice of suits for groomsmen often depends on the wedding's formality and the couple's preferences. Common options include classic black, navy, gray, or charcoal suits, but the specific style and color should align with the wedding theme and the groom's attire for a cohesive look.
Is it normal for groomsmen to pay for suits?
It's common for groomsmen to cover the cost of their own suits and accessories when participating in a wedding. However, this can vary based on individual arrangements and the preferences of the couple getting married.
Do groomsmen hire their own suits?
Yes, groomsmen often have the option to either purchase or rent their suits, depending on the couple's preferences and the wedding's formality. Renting suits can be a cost-effective and convenient choice, especially for groomsmen who may not wear formal attire frequently.